Thursday, February 11, 2016

A Noble Lie


It's been two years since you loved me
Half smiled and said, you know I always will
One year since you picked up your phone
Three months without your period
Wistfully smiling, suspicion and an overactive imagination cross paths
That choice would be so smart
Just like you
beautiful, too
Yesterday, you were so busy
and it'll be another day before I stop waiting
Maybe more

It's been thirteen years since you promised
Lowered your eyes to the ground and said, I am not leaving
Ten days before your birthday since you laughed at me from beyond and said,
By the way, I am a goddamned liar

Yesterday, I forgave you
and it'll be another day before I really mean it.
Maybe more.

It's been one year when you locked your affection in a safe
Shrugged your shoulders and said, Self preservation, I am sorry
Three months, cancer free
And thirty two years since my eyes were opened
Yesterday, I prayed for you
and it'll be another day before those prayers will be answered
Maybe more

It's been too long since I left this place
Thirteen years to be exact
Twelve hours from midnight to noon
When the ghosts come out to play
Cocked my head with curiosity and said, I am angry
Yesterday, I stopped believing in things I cannot see
and it'll be another day before I ask to be forgiven
Maybe more.

1 comment: