Friday, October 18, 2013

2:00 A.M.


Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM.

Unless you're in Vegas.  Or in love.  Or drunk.  Or in a taxi cab with a beautiful woman.  Or just doing nothing with friends.

There we were, for three months straight, drunk, high; no worries in the world.  In the kitchen, we exchanged hugs; still wet from the hot tub.  Jesus looks the other way when you're young and naive.

Say, I can get used to this late night hour.  The moon is a star illuminated by the sun but on moonless nights, I wonder if the sun is fast asleep.  Say, later on, down the road, we will reminisce about these good old days and we will exchange hugs at the water cooler.

There we were,  for three months straight, drunk, high and under the false impression summer will last forever.  The moon sleeps twelve hours a day but the sun, it never sleeps except on moonless nights.  Those are the nights they aren't on speaking terms.  Those are the nights, darkness wins.

Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM.

Especially for those of us with bee hive brains.  And those of us with idle hands.  Insomnia does not exist.  It's simply the plague of the neurotic few.

There I was, stroking the head of my dog; just watching him sleep.  It dawned on me that dogs sleep twelve hours a day.  Just like the moon.  And that dog, he was always happy without a care in the world. 

Say, you're such a good boy.  I wonder what you think when you look at me.  Say, do I ever fall out of favor with you?  Are there days we aren't on speaking terms?

There I was, smelling her hair as she peacefully slept.  It dawned on me that she never looked more beautiful.  I swear I wanted to sleep like her.   I swear it will never be.

Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM.

Thoughts race; like a dog chasing his tail.  Round and round, I go.  Fear of the unknown is overtaken by fear of what is known.  Not if but when.  When is this world going to end?  When will she finally give up on me?  When will the moon disappear from the sky and when will that sun finally give up on us? 

Say, it's easier said than done.  Say, ignorance is bliss. 

There I was; having one of those dreams.  Those dreams where I am wide awake.   We were standing in the kitchen; drunk and high.  We exchanged hugs when no one was looking.  I swear I thought some things last forever.  I swear it was a moonless night.

Nothing good happens after 2:00 AM.

Until sunrise.



2 comments:

  1. RMS, Restless Mind Syndrome ... People think that the monsters lurk in the dark. They do not realize that the monsters are much more infatuated with the day, because it is unexpected. I love after 2 am. it is MY time. It is the quiet time. Does my mind race? Not especially. But the greatest conversations can occur in the early morning hours. Sleep being elusive or beating at the backs of the eyes. Catching up with a good friend and hearing a voice that means a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was after 2:00 am YOUR time and it was one week ago tonite. thank you, andy. always.

      Delete