Friday, October 4, 2013

The Blurring of Truth


During the 2008 election campaign in one of those usually well scripted town hall meetings, presidential candidate Obama was asked a question by an 11 year old girl.

"Senator Obama, why do you want to become president?", she curiously asked.

Without the assistance of his teleprompter, Obama was unprepared for such a simple question.  So, he did the Bush-esque routine of an awkward laugh and then made a joke about being hit in the head with a rock.  While the audience laughed, he finally mumbled his way toward an answer one would expect from a career politician:

"I have two daughters and they are very pretty like you are.  When I look at them and think of their future, I wanted a country they could be proud to live in; filled with opportunities like we adults once were accustomed to", he replied.  (I am paraphrasing).

Fair answer.
Not bad considering his handlers hadn't prepared him for a question by an innocent and precocious child.

But like most politicians and their catch phrase driven "speeches", it reeked of dishonesty.  In my opinion, of course.

I admit I am cynical when it comes to words from anyone; be it a politician or even a friend.  I believe most people say what they believe most people want to hear or if they do speak the actual truth, it will be done only in rooms of like minded people or in rooms filled with those types of people who hate confrontation.

I don't doubt that Obama wants his kids to have ample opportunity nor do I doubt that he believes his ideology is the best course for you and me.

What I do doubt is that his children were the motivating factor in running for president.

Ask me why I bought my last dog at the pound and my answer will vary depending on the crowd I am in front of.  If I am running for office, I would say, "Knowing the sad plight these abandoned cute little loving pets face, I figured I would do my part and save one from the cold heartless fate that was about to be administered through a needle."

If a friend asked me the same question, I would tell the truth... "The dog was only $30 at the pound."

This is probably a bad example.  My point is people rarely give thoughtful honest answers to questions.  In fact, I think most of the time, we give thoughtful calculated answers.

After going through my 'I want to be a cowboy' and 'I want to be a baseball player' phases as a kid, I, too, wanted to be a politician.  Most kids I knew at the time wanted to be doctors or lawyers or athletes.  Me, it was politics.  I was a young Alex P. Keaton minus the clip-on tie.

If anyone had asked me at the time why I wanted to be a politician, I would have done my best Obama or (insert any other politician) impression and probably would have said, "I want to be president because I believe the children are the future and I want to help this country and her citizens".

I am certain I would have given some bullshit reason.

Truth is I wanted to be a politician because I wanted a legacy.  I wanted my name to be known.  I believed I was smarter than everyone else.  I wanted mom to be proud.

Hey, I was a kid.  I emulated those I saw on  TV.  Reagan was my father or at least, my idea of what a father should be.

The other truth is yes, I did want to save this country and I did believe that children are the future.  Whitney Houston taught me that.  But that wasn't my number one reason for wanting to be a politician.

It was ego.  It's also a small degree of narcissism.   And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Yet, politicians will never admit it.

I think we all have a tendency to tip toe on egg shells with each other when faced with any question.  For some reason, we think our likeability is measured by our words so truth is sometimes abandoned in order to attain the illusion of being liked.

We live in a world now where we are defined by sound bites.  We have five seconds to make a good impression or we are forever labeled something.

Technology has replaced communication.  Social networks have re-defined and dislocated being social.  Illusions are the new reality.

And thoughtful calculated replies have replaced truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment