Saturday, December 14, 2013

Just like Everyone Else


I don't blame her or he
for wanting to be
like everyone else
our wants, the same
her, he and even myself

I asked the boy who he wanted to be
he looked around then pointed at me

"Why, my son?  Who do you see?"

He coyly smiled, "you are so happy".

"but son, sometimes
smiles are just a disguise"

Quick to agree, he replied
"they are beautiful lies."



I asked my father in a dream of some sort
"if you could could go back, would you choose to abort?"

"LOOK, MY SON, I AM TO BLAME", was his angry retort.

So, I wandered in sleep wondering who I've become
Am I his father or am I his my son?
It was one of those moments where I wish I was them
those people with fathers; not forgotten by one



I asked the queen who sits on my throne
"why did you choose me over being alone?"

"LOOK, MY LOVE, IT MAY NOT BE PRACTICAL
BUT WHEN I AM WITH YOU, IT'S ALL SO MAGICAL"

I considered her words as carefully as could be
and thought to myself, "somewhere, someone wishes they were me."



I asked my God to explain free will
the silence was deafening
as the world stood still.

"LOOK MY SON, NOT EVERYONE WILL BELIEVE
IT'S UP TO YOU, TO DENY OR RECEIVE"

I considered His words knowing I had nothing to lose
and needlessly wondering if He knew what I was going to choose.

And I made my choice with nary a pause
forgetting for a moment all of my flaws



Sometimes when I'm down
and down on myself
I recognize this cloak in self-covered lies
burying the truth in a brilliant disguise
as we are busy wishing we were just like everyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment