Sunday, January 5, 2014

Don't Go



Another year in the rear view mirror.  Objects may appear closer than they are.  Got my hand in my pocket; fumbling for change.  I'll buy you a ticket to anywhere but here.

Don't go.

Has anyone ever told you how you perfect you are?  Tell me to stop if I'm going too far.  Got my hand around your neck; feeling for a pulse.  Is it just me or did I suck the air out of you?  Tell me how you like it and I'm bound to get it right.  Back in the day, I took nothing for granted.  Now, I'm at a crossroad and I don't know what to choose.

Say a little prayer that I will come through.  Another empty sentence will not hurt you.  Got my foot on the pedal; the shift in reverse.  I'll run over yesterday because it still hurts.

Don't go.

Maybe I'm not the knight I presented myself to be.  Could we start over or end this amicably?  Got my tongue on your thighs; just to make you squirm.  I'm going through my bag of tricks while you go through the motions.  If I'm just a diversion from the very thing you love, show me the door and I'll politely walk away. 

Tell me the truth if you even know how.  Another vial of your lies is the last thing I need now.  I could overdose on your words like I have done many times before.  Got my fingers in my ears because God knows I want more. 

I think it's best we no longer speak.  Please return my things and the key to my heart.  You have to admit that the closer I try to get, the more you push us apart.  Why should I ask for something you're unable to give?  Back in the day, it was all different.  I'm guessing there's enough blame to pass all around.  Got my foot in my mouth so I'm not tempted to swallow my pride. 

Don't go.

Another tragic sunset followed by the black.  Once upon a time, you loved me to the moon and back.  Got my eyes on the planets and my thoughts on the stars.  You're not the only one who bleeds or bears any scars.

Maybe, its you and not really me.  There may be other fish but after you, I am avoiding the sea. 

Don't go.

Has anyone ever told you how perfect you are?  Tell me to stop if I'm going too far.  Got my hand over your heart to feel if I'm still alive.  I feel a  faint beat and a cold chill.   Has the ice queen returned for a snack?  Don't eat my whole heart, I may want it back.

Don't go.

7 comments:

  1. oh wow. I don't have an good enough comment-- very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know it was Hulia's "bebe" blog that inspired this. i loved reading about her and roy... the push and pull of their relationship. it was so powerful.

      Delete
  2. I'll ride with this comment instead of leaving one of my own regards the post. And walk away feeling like I left a comment fully worthy of the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But only because of the commenter that left it

      Delete
  3. again, not so much prose as a lyrical assault on the senses. You are Metallica with Tori Amos' voice. Hard driving and ethereal .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must know us cause we are what you are writing. Sad but true

    ReplyDelete