Monday, April 7, 2014

Jump



Remember how it used to be...

I could jump without a parachute.  You mistook my bravado as being resolute.   My ambition went into remission long ago.  Yet, I no longer fear this altitude.  Just say Jump, you know I will.

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger says The Optimist.  Rely on yourself says the pseudo Scientist.  This will make you feel better says the Pharmacist.  The sky is falling,  says me, the weary alarmist. 

Remember how it used to be... young and wild, so carefree.  Tomorrow was just a hypothesis.  Now, that's its here, everything is so monotonous.  Who needs a parachute when the future seems so bottomless?  Just say Jump, you know I will.


I still know the words to the songs you sang to me.  I haven't forgotten how we came to be.  I even can recite your drunk poetry.  It may have been the worst of times but in the end, they brought out the best in me.  Ask me to jump, you know I will.

You were aiming for a target we failed to see.  A beautiful landing wouldn't have been as artistic.  Maybe, in the end, we were a little cannibalistic.  But misery loves company and you were just a walking statistic.  Say what you will, I've always been empathetic and sadistic.  Tell me to jump, you know I will.

Over in the distance, she waits for me.  She's got a mane the lions would die for.  Ask her into your heart, she'll take the side door.  Back in the day, I would have given up.  Long before, I even dared to jump.  Say what you will, but don't you interrupt.  I've got a parachute and that's enough.

Remember how it used to be
Before all these worries were burning a hole in my stomach.

Tell me to jump, you know I will. 



No comments:

Post a Comment