Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Statue



Sooner or later, we're strangers again.  No lie is greater than I'll always be your friend.  And I don't know what we are.  I only know what we were.  Discretion is the better part of valor.  Famous last words of an everyday martyr. 

And here I am; staring at the clock.  Ticktock, two a.m.  A stranger again. 

I'd rather be a painting on a wall than a statue in the park.  Look at my colors.  Light and dark.  Interpret me, majestically.  I'm someone's creation; someone's art.  I've become a stranger to you.  A statue in a park.

Sooner or later, these things occur.  Sitting on the porch discussing how things were.  Old war stories.  Those past glories.  And we stare at the clock.  Ticktock, another passerby.   She's so beautiful.  There she goes.  Sigh.  Maybe, I'll catch her around the block.  If I'm not too late.  I probably am.  Years as a stranger.  Famous last words of just a friend. 

All the pigeons are out of bread as they commence at my feet.  Who notices a man made of concrete?  I used to hang so proudly on your wall.  Like that crucifix around your neck.  Patience is a virtue.  Famous last words of a lonely heretic. 

And here I am; staring at the broken clock. Ticktock, two a.m. A stranger again.

Sooner or later, this comes to pass.  Out with the old, in with the new.  One woman's treasure is another woman's trash.  Famous last words of the forgotten statue. 





1 comment:

  1. "One woman's treasure is another woman's trash" is such a great statement! What we ourselves do to others and time...is it really the "healer" of all wounds or is just a mechanism to remind us of our mistakes and misfortunes in life as we grow older? Without "friendship" my life would be lived in loneliness as the memories alone keep the darkness away!

    ReplyDelete