Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Unimaginable


We get into a lot of arguments.

Well, I get into a lot of arguments.

Because I am always right.


She knows my affinity for those animal shows.  So, she asked me what animal I would want to be.  And I thought about it.

Strange that of all the things that I have answers for, this was an occurrence where I did not.
I thought, okay, maybe a great white.  Top of the food chain.  Feared by everyone.
Maybe, a dog.   Sleep, eat, walk and shit.  A simple life.  Everyone loves a dog.

Back and forth, I went.

Do I want to be feared or loved?

I have answers for everything except when it comes to the hypothetical.

Because in the hypothetical, I can never be right.


We had one of those fights that lasts for days.  Over something so ridiculous. Where neither person will budge.  Because, in a sense we were both right.

I broke the tension.   I'd rather fight with you than be fucking someone else.

Levity.


She doesn't exactly believe in God.  Or heaven.  Or angels.
But she wants to.


There was a night I spent in the hospital.  The room was dark as I laid there all alone.

I saw her face.  It illuminated the room.

Of course, she was miles and miles away but at that moment, in the comfort of her own bed, she was thinking of me.  At that exact moment she was thinking of  me, I saw her next to my hospital bed.

It's unimaginable.  Even impossible that she was actually there.


When I get sick, she worries about me.  In a twisted way, it makes me want to be sick.  But I'm as healthy as an ox.  Ironically, the ox is an animal I would never want to be.


We get into these fights.  Ones that I can never win. 
Even though, I am always right.
She's smarter than me.

My only defense is to quote that campy movie about angels back when Meg Ryan was something to behold:  Some things are true whether you believe in them or not.


We don't talk about our story.  How we met.  The differences.  The ups.  The downs.  The angels.  The devils.  The fights.  Our times of peace.

But we do talk about the love.


It's unimaginable that we are both still here. 
Still together.  Still apart.

Faith doesn't move mountains.  Determination does.

Because some things are true whether we believe in them or not.













No comments:

Post a Comment