Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sweet dreams aren't made of this



I've worn the shoes of an untouched man.  I was floating around in this petri dish.  Scientist examined me for any sign of life.  I twitched, I turned at her slightest touch.  Nobody wants to be the subject of a cruel experiment.

Oh, she said she loved me many times before.  Maybe, I'm not as charming as I think.  One day, those I love yous stopped.  I've worn the shoes of an unloved man.

I took a flight in a metal bird.  Jesus, people, can't you see I am trying to sleep?  Pilot warned us of turbulent skies.  I tossed, I turned at the slightest bump.  Nobody likes to listen to warning signs.  I've worn the shoes of a fearful man.

Oh, she said she meant every word.  Maybe, I'm not as smart as I claim to be.  One day, those words were as empty as her life.  I've worn the armor of an invisible man.

I never knew how lonely I really was until I met her.  Jesus, people, get out of my head.  Angel on my shoulder says run, run, run as fast as you can.  Devil promised me milk and honey.  I've worn the shoes of a tempted man.

Back when I watched a young man die, I swore I would fulfill every dream he had.  I was floating on a delusional cloud.  I sneered, I scoffed at all the doubting Thomases.  Nobody wants to be proven wrong.

Oh he said he was stronger than me.  Maybe, I underestimate who I really am.  One day, his words were met by silence.  I've laid in the bed where old friends die just hoping for one last scent.

I climbed the mountain no one said I could.  Jesus, people, the air is thin.  I could choke on my inflated ego.  Who could love me more than I love myself?  I've worn the skin of a self-loathing man.

I never know how sad I really am until I fall asleep.  These dreams are heavy; too much to bear.  They pierce, they prod every unhealed wound.  Doctor wants to prescribe me a temporary salve.  She never looks me in the eyes.  I've worn the smile of an unloved clown.

Oh, that doctor believes life is grand.  Maybe, the half empty glass needs a refill.  One day, water will flow throughout this desert.  I cringe, I cling at this very thought.  Nobody wants to die of thirst.

I wear the shoes of the unloved man.  I don't dare to sleep on nights like these.  Jesus, people, I'm counting sheep; the sheep being led to the slaughterhouse.  Maybe, dreams are warning signs.  I'll toss, I'll turn as conviction gets the best of me.

I wear the mask of a tired man. 

As I drift out in nowhere, the sun and the moon reacquaint.  Jesus, people, when will the bleeding stop?  Who can love another yet never say those words?  An unloved man will climb any mountain just in hope that approval awaits at its peak.  It's a long trip down when that peak is met by silence.  I've worn the boots of an adventurous man.

Oh, she loves me on certain days.  Like those days, she needs me.  Maybe, I am far too analytical.  One day, I will rest in peace.  I will wear the suit and tie of the well remembered.

Jesus, people, my closet is full; consisting of everyone else's worn attire.  Maybe, it's just my fault.  I'll sit, I'll stir at this possibility.

And one day, the clock will stop.  And the sun and moon will divorce.  And mountaintops will just be plateaus.  And the unloved man finally gets his sleep.




3 comments: