Thursday, February 27, 2014

Losing my religion


To love the self absorbed in the midst of a catastrophe as the lungs cave in on my apostasy.  Losing my religion in the name of fear when hope was once my amnesty.  So, it goes as time winds down.  Joy, why have you abandoned me?

I label you, you label me.  The luster of us is gone like a novelty.  I think we know by now that happily ever after is merely an anomaly.  So, it goes as time winds down.  Rose colored glasses, why did you abandon me?

I used to hear the screams of a butterfly and feel the heat from a burning ant.  I tuned it out so I would not feel too bad.  Where have you gone, empathy?  You're looking out for you and I'm looking out for me.  Thank you for all your years of service, clarity.

To love thyself on forgotten days as birthday candles melt away.  I'd like to save my wish for a rainy day if you don't mind trying to remember me.  I've got my fingers on the trigger on the illusion of reality.  One more bullet makes me a casualty.  Prudence, why did you abandon me?

I scream at you, you scream at me.  Two days later comes an apology.  I think it's clear I'm not a priority.  Cloud my vision with your superiority.  It doesn't matter, I still see your beauty.  So, it goes as time winds down.  The same old song always sounds new to me. 

Here's a stick.  There's my heart. A blood pumping pinata so to speak.  Hola, well deserved release.  Adios, sweet mystique.  Punish me with silence and I, you, metaphorically.  Communication, why did you abandon me?

To love insufferably in the midst of a catastrophe as the lungs cave in on our history.  Losing my religion in the name of fear makes me guilty of idolatry.  So, it goes as time winds down.  Optimism, why have you abandoned me?






4 comments:

  1. This is achingly beautiful! Just want you to know that although on another site you say you are merely a "blogger," you are definitely a first-class poet in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Writer.
    Of the kind that other kick ass Writers that I know find impressive enough to publicly recommend

    ReplyDelete
  3. As haunting as that really is, all I can do is sing losing my religion rem, and a tears for fears song. Seriously it would make a great song!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "achingly beautiful" pretty much sums it up. Thank you for being a 21st-century not just writer, but seeker.

    ReplyDelete