Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Greatest Lie



The greatest lie I ever told was I don't care.

It was December if I remember.  Around Christmas.  The greatest gift a man can get is forgiveness.  As the cold turned to warmth and the season began to change, spring brought forth indifference.  Stoic me, barely noticed.  I just don't care, I said.

Who's the anchor?  Who's the ship?  We were both in love.  We were both seasick.  I threw all my worries overboard; ready for this lifelong trip.  With you.  And only you.  Oblivious me, with my smug smile and ever so deluded view never imagined my world without you.  But you could.  You did.  I just don't care, I said.

Like an astronaut floating in space; you were, you are my gravity.  And I float and float further away from you as you replace my oxygen with apathy.  They say, when love evaporates, the first to go is your sanity.  And I swear I just don't care anymore. 

As the silence turns to days, here comes back all my insecurities.  Those warm hellos and I love yous; no longer priorities.  If I'll fade into obscurity, only time will tell.  Have we really reached the point of text messaged apologies? L O L.  I speak to you in acronyms and you speak unaffectionately.  O M G.  I just don't care, I said.

It was December if I remember.  Around Christmas.  The greatest mistake a man can make is to bear false witness.  And I just don't care, I said. 






1 comment:

  1. First thing I have read this morning, whilst nursing my cup of tea is this Hurl and now my tea has a salty taste from my tears. AWESOME Writing!!!! Absolutely beautifully, painfully tearing apart my heart. <3
    HONESTY ... whilst it may not save every situation ... is always the best policy .... sometimes you have to do it carefully, tactfully, but it should always be a priority, even when it is soooooo hard to be honest. I didn't sit through the pain of my tattoo on my arm with the key saying HONESTY for nothing. ;) *chuckles* I am so glad I came across this this morning Hurl. <3 beams*

    ReplyDelete