Monday, November 5, 2012

From a Park Bench

I was advised to watch a certain movie during a specific period in my life.  One of those art imitating life types of movies. 

It happened to be my favorite genre.  So, taking a break from my self-imposed pity party was an easy chore.

All the best scenes in movies always take place on a park bench.  I swear, its true. 

There's that scene where Daniel is sitting next to his son, Sam, while learning about his first crush which later culminates to Sam running through the airport to kiss her.  If you've seen Love Actually, then you know the park bench scene.

Even Forrest Gump is centered around a park bench.

When my head gets clouded with thoughts of uncertainty, I go for an aimless run.  One, on par of that famous scene with Forrest.

I suppose there are two types of runners:  Those with a plan, such as Sam, as he ensued his first love through the obstacles of an airport and those like Forrest who just run until they've had enough.

Tonight, I went for an aimless run and approached a lonely park bench and just sat down.  It was the perfect remedy for clarity. 

As I lazily sat there, that movie recommended to me during that challenging period of my life, flashed into my head.  More specifically, one scene did.

Summer is now married.  Tom is exasperated; completely unsure how this woman who always preached independence could settle down with a man that wasn't him.  So, Tom, delicately asked his former love... "How?  Why?"

"I just... I just woke up one day and knew."
"Knew what?" Tom replied.
"What I was never sure of with you", Summer exclaimed.

The scene was a park bench where clarity was exposed.

I empathized with Tom.  The first time I saw that movie, I was Tom.  Even to some degree, I still am today.

No man wants to be a question mark.  I suppose we all want to be exclamation points. 

I don't really know where I am headed these days.  I do know that sometimes being aimless in our journeys can lead us to a place of clarity.  I also know clarity is never revealed until we start asking the relevant questions.


I think about these unappreciated park bench scenes in movies and realize that they all have one thing in common:  no one is running.

It's always two people; talking and listening.


Communicating.

I'm certain there is something to be learned in that.



No comments:

Post a Comment