Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cowboy in Blue


Down in the city where Elvis is revered, I'll wait for you.  I can bide my time in a smoke filled chamber where daddy's little girl tells me what I want to hear.  And this handsome devil will borrow something blue just to fill the void between me and you.

Took a wrong turn down the path of righteousness.  Found myself surrounded by familiarity.  Slept with the wolves because the drugs were free.  Faced my own demons just to make you proud.

Someday.

Everything was a rumor until I met you.   Watched a grown man ride off into the sunset.  He was no cowboy, just a coward in blue.  And I called him dad.

Down in the city where tumbleweeds are in bloom, I bide my time singing out of tune.  They say, the music never gets old.  They don't know the void between me and you.

Cowboys don't come in a suit and a tie.  They don't give a damn about the politics of war.  Soldier says, he's coming home soon.  Little does he know, it'll be in a zipped up bag.  Cowboys fight for freedom while soldiers die for greed.  Down in the city where John Wayne is passe, all the so-called patriots talk red white and blue.  And me, I am just waiting for you.

Played russian roulette with a few of my friends.  Sometimes, I wish I would have won.  Don't care much for this world anymore but I'll bide my time telling their tales.  Maybe, they'll be proud and forgive me for this.

Someday.

Everything was a possibility until I met you.  Drove past the house where I first touched your face.  Hope never looks as good in the rear view mirror.  She's just an angel like everyone else.  And I call her mine.

Down in the city where the waves crash the beach, I look for the calm so I'm ready for the storm.  They say, it's coming, I better be ready.  They don't know but I'm going down with the ship.  I'll wear something blue so I'm lost out at sea.   In between the space of hope and our dreams lies the void of you and of me.

We could play doctor then fall fast asleep. But then we'd wake up in sheets stained of regret.  You follow the moon and I'll follow the sun.  They were once in love now we have night and day. You stand over there.  I'll stand over here.  I'll wear something blue while waiting for you.  Everything will be fine.

Someday.




1 comment: