Friday, September 20, 2013

Dirty Shoes



Tomorrow, what if my shoes don't fit?  Hey, Material Girl, it's a material world.  What if your shoes don't fit?

We talk about trust.
We talk about integrity
Even if I unveiled my impurity, it wouldn't matter.
I'd just be revealing my ambiguity. 


I said it could never happen to me.  You said it could never happen to you.  If you don't believe in God, you don't believe in laughter.  Some jokes aren't funny anymore.  Like the ones I'm about to tell:


Remember when you crashed your car?  We all thanked God for that tree.  You wouldn't take a shit for those three days in jail.  Nothing is funnier than vanity.

Remember how we've never met?  You're just a face on my computer screen.  But you mean a hell of a lot to me.  Tomorrow, we may not be friends.  Hey, Material Girl on my computer screen,  what if that world went black?   Will you think of me?  It's funny that we trivialize our own lives.

I don't want to walk in your shoes.  Much less mine. 

You prefer the noise. 
I prefer the serene.
You get lost in the crowd.
I get lost in a computer screen.


It will never be 1989 again.  It seems so long ago.  I took a ride in your pickup truck and I never returned home.  Now, I've got nowhere else to go. 

I hope you're enjoying your pearly gated community.
Why do I laugh so much?  I grieve in ambiguity.

It's not quiet when the lights go down.  Some hamsters never stop running on that wheel.  Don't ask me why I can't sleep.  There is no switch to turn off these thoughts.

I don't want to walk in your shoes.  You know your expiration date.  Material girl is about to lose her hair.  And much much more.

Just when we get comfortable in our own shoes, God gives us a different pair to wear. 

I never tell you this but you break my heart.  It breaks for you. 
What if your shoes don't fit?  Will you stop running away from me?

I don't want new shoes.  I'd be happy in the pair I wore way back then.  Everything was so much easier. 

Before you go.  Before you leave.  Will you please tell me what I did right?  All any of us ever do is focus on where we went wrong.  Will you please tell me where I went right?

It's inevitable.
It's just a part of life.
Hearts are edible
And you're feeding on mine tonight.

I don't want to walk in your shoes.  Ask me and I might try. 

Hey Material Girl, you can't run in high heels.  But you sure look pretty. 
Nothing is funnier than vanity.

Because it's a waste of time.  And we have no time to waste.

I don't want to walk in your dirty shoes.

Much less mine.




3 comments:

  1. Amazing--no time to waste. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of asking what was done right, rather than focusing on the wrong. And shoes...yes, the perfect metaphor for the constant change--the time we can't wear or walk in forever.

    ReplyDelete