Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Life Embarrassing



Standing in the corner of life embarrassing, nobody remembers your name. 

Age six, prom queen wore baby doll dresses and a tiara at the dinner table.  I'm going to be a princess someday.

Anchored by some guilt and the hands of time, prom king sure let himself go.  I'm going to be the proud father of two after I make some money and a name for myself.

Punch bowl conversations are casual at best.  Norman Rockwell portraits hang in our dreams.  Life embarrassing is a lonely town where all the people smile if they dare step outside.  And if they dare step outside, they hurry back home where nobody asks what you've been up to.

We used to have conversations with ourselves.  I spoke at them and they spoke at me.  It seems so strange to brag about things you have yet done.  Looking back now, I would probably shut up. 

I learned how to drive at the age of eighteen said the man who lost his virginity at twelve.  Some things are quite backwards in this little town.  Life embarrassing is a friendly place despite the empty streets and pristine landscape. 

There was a girl building a stairway to heaven and when she was done, she turned back around.  Solitude may be a hell in itself but if it's all you know, you'll choose the comfort of those flames.  We used to talk for hours late into the night.  She spoke about her wedding and all the dreams soon to follow.  Well, some things are better left to dreams but she wouldn't change a thing.  Life embarrassing is filled with dreamers.

Once upon a time about an hour ago, my phone rang for what seemed to be minutes.  A reunion of sorts awaited the other line.  How could I answer when I would have nothing to say?  Life embarrassing keeps the dreamers silent.

I can imagine he has a few stories to share while sitting in a room with dust covered trophies.  Back in the day, I predicted his glory.  Rumor has it, he is now wearing my shoes.  The emperor of life embarrassing is never wearing clothes. 

Fell in a love with this girl who is better than me.  The knowledge of this truth breeds some resentment.  There are some things we never talk about.  For example, everything.

Standing in the corner of life embarrassing, everybody knows your name. 






No comments:

Post a Comment