Sunday, November 3, 2013

Like Me



She was waiting for a man; a man like me.  Not the man I am but the man I should be. 

Some say, she's got the perfect pose.  An illusion like Independence day.  I guess freedom is everyone's dream.  Now, do what you're told or we'll lock you up.  If loneliness is merely a cage, then life is just a zoo.  Don't feed the animals, they'll just end up relying on you.  God forbid, we roam free.  She's waiting to be fed from a man like me.

In a sun dress and flip flops, she is waiting for her knight.  She speaks so bravely about needing no one.  Some say, in a crowded room, you can hear her cry.  If the world's going to burn, she's gonna burn alone. 

Some say, she never sleeps.  Sweet dreams delude the mind.  She's waiting for a ship; a ship that will never come.  Maybe, everyone is lost at sea.  If she's found washed up on shore, chances are she was drowning for a man like me.

There's something beautiful when only hope remains.  Like a flickering candle when the power's out.  She knows her way around the dark.  It's as easy as a broken heart.  She says she doesn't need electricity.  I guess you get used to the black when you spend your time waiting for a man like me.

The woman at the airport with her face buried in her hands has a tale I would love to hear.  Whispered promises and good intentions make an autumn night a little less crisp.  I would guess she's already picked out her wedding dress.  Women like her fail to see that words mean nothing from a man like me.

Some say, that woman is just as guilty.  Maybe, it's easier to just sing along.  If loneliness is merely a one person play, then life is just the stage. Please, no applause until the show is over. 

Mom says dad had a heart of gold; buried beneath layers of scar tissue.  Fool me once, shame on you.  She waited and waited as the years went by.  Some say, she seems so happy.   Dad was not a man, a man like me.

I'll get on my horse and rescue you.  Just tell me again what it is you love about me.  I will be the man; the man I should be. 





4 comments:

  1. dude, y u tryin' to disguise d poetry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no intent to make this rhyme. it just kinda happened that way. thanks mike. y u disguise d name wit 09876? der r lots of mikes out der.

      Delete
    2. i c u 2 virgins stayin d strong and keepin away from d temptations 2gethr

      Delete
  2. poignant as ever, that first line especially, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete