Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thank you


Coming down from all those highs; those lies I used to tell myself.  Thank you addiction for the best friend any man can have.  I'll state the obvious when I can catch my breath; catch my fall if you catch my drift.  Thank you addiction says these idle hands.

Two billion heartbeats if I live to seventy.  Through all the punches and all the kicks, all the light and all the dark;  from the bottom of my soul, thank you, heart.

Little old lady who gave birth to me; well, we barely speak.  She throws words at me and then I duck.  When the I love yous stop and you're still a kid, detachment becomes your defense.  Maybe, deep down inside, those words still exist.  I'll state the obvious when I catch my breath; catch my fall if you catch my drift.  Thank you mom, I know you mean well.

Thank you for being pro-life.  Sure, you could have taken the easy road.  This accident was no mistake.  Little old lady who gave birth to me, you chose well.

Waking up from a deep sleep; back from a world where familiar faces still greet me, I am reminded that nothing is ever done in vain.  Thank you dreams for the best friend any restless man can have. 

Once upon a time, we were all stronger than this.  I am sorry you lost your step.  If I knew peace was out of reach, I would have crushed your bubble and dragged you out.  Thank you temptation for all this wisdom.  Someday, I will reconcile the two.  I am sorry temptation killed a man like you.  I'll state the obvious when I catch my breath; catch my fall if you catch my drift.  Thank you wisdom for proving no one dies in vain.

Old man in an unmarked grave, I don't know your face.  Sure, I wonder if I ever crossed your mind.  But old man in that unmarked grave, there are no hard feelings.  Someday, I may even visit you.  Thank you dad for dying before we meet.  Sincerely, your son, Clarity.  I'll state the obvious when I catch my breath; catch my fall if you catch my drift.  Thank you dad for everything.

You, yes you, the one I used to know; the one I can't let go.  Thank you for the recipes.  I'll be sure to make the perfect feast.  Next time, there's always a next time, I'll thank you perfectly.  And maybe, you'll notice me. 

Again.

Thank you fear for the cement in my shoes.
Thank you failure when there's nothing left to lose.
Thank you negativity.  The half empty glass is always right to choose.

Coming down from all these highs; all the lies I used to tell myself.  Thank you clarity for being the best friend a man can have.  I'll state the obvious when I catch my breath; catch my fall if you catch my drift.  Thank you clarity says this grateful man.









No comments:

Post a Comment