Saturday, October 27, 2012

An ambiguous Life


I wonder what he thinks when he watches me watching him.  They say his mind is practically gone.  They say he remembers nothing.

But, during those rare and ambiguous moments, I know he is thinking of something,  Maybe, even someone.

His life has no meaning to him.  Faces are all blank canvases.  Names are just words.


It's been a decade now.  Ten long uneventful years.  A decade of what if.  A decade of why.

It should have been me... if life was fair.  I tell myself that everyday.  It's the anchor that keeps me at bay.

In between reminiscing and regret, this old man with his blank stare and silent screams, teaches me things I have failed to learn.

This is my life.

I'm guilty of envy every time I take a glimpse at the lives of those I once knew well.
I'm guilty of pride every time they take a glimpse at mine.


I suppose I am ambiguous because there is too much to explain and too little to know.
 I haven't slept in ten short years.

This whole concept of time and space seems arbitrary.  Someone recently told me that scientists now believe that time will eventually stop.  And I just laugh.  I laugh because if I put aside all the distractions in my life and just close my eyes... I remember everything and everyone; as if everything happened in one long day.

If you don't value life, you value nothing.

That old man died months ago.  With a smile on his face.

Like every man before him, I wonder what his last thought was.


No comments:

Post a Comment