Sunday, October 21, 2012

Celebrate Reason






This billboard which is displayed on the side of the road in a few cities in our great country initially offended me.

The know it all atheists clearly state that believing in the Christmas story, the biblical account of Jesus' birth, is unreasonable.  The mere mention of CELEBRATE REASON while flashing the word MYTH next to the picture of the three wise men implies that they are reasonable and those of us who believe are unreasonable.

They claim they want us to celebrate reason but the truth is they want us to celebrate arrogance.

The atheists are speculating.  They are disguising their opinions and dressing them up as facts.  Just because they claim something is a myth does not make it a myth.

Now, a billboard with the silouhette of Santa Clause with the word MYTH painted next to it would be reasonable.  But like usual; God, Christians, Jesus, the Bible.... are the ones under attack.

Personally, as a Christian, I treat the Bible exactly how I treated my history book in high school.  I believe what I have read.

Because people tend to think in contemporary terms, it is difficult to believe specifics of another world and time.  I cannot imagine how people entertained themselves prior to the invention of the television.  I suppose some kids today have a hard time imagining a world of socializing without the internet; yet, it was only 18 years ago when kids like me did not have that option.

It is hard for me to imagine a world where a white man owned a black man; where that black man did the white man's chores.  I cannot grasp the idea of black people not being allowed to use the same restrooms as the rest of us.  Forty years ago, it was fact.

Just about everything I have read in my old history book seems inconceivable to me.   And that's because our brains aren't exactly wired to fully accept things we have not personally witnessed or experienced.

I have been asked frequently throughout my life how I know my "religion" or my "God" is the correct one.  I can't and don't arrogantly state that I am right and everyone else is wrong.  I speculate.  What I do know is that there are no billboards in this country with the Star of David telling people to celebrate reason instead of Hannukah.  I know there are no signs depicting Muhammed or Buddha or any other faiths and calling them "myths". 

I am also aware that the name of Jesus Christ is the only deity or figure of faith also used as an expletive.  That leads me to specualte that something or someone unholy is trying to taint a holy name.

The mere fact is since the days of Jesus only Christianity has been specifically targeted with feeble attempts to discredit it.

Personally, that tells me that the God I worship just might be the correct one.  But I am speculating.

The atheists have every right to post their anti-faith billboards across the land but they should afford us the same rights of putting up a nativity scene or a cross where we, as believers, see fit. 

Because if Christianity is a myth then what's the harm?  If Jesus' birth in a manger is a myth then those images are just as irrelevant and harmless as Santa Clause.  But Santa the myth isn't under assault.  Jesus "the myth" is.

Why?

Personally, that gives me even more evidence that the story of Christ is indeed a fact.  But I am speculating.  The mere fact that a group of people want one "myth" silenced and removed from the public arena while all other myths are left untouched leads me to believe that my "myth" is indeed truth.

But like I said, I am speculating.

My faith is cemented in granite.  No billboard, no all knowing atheist, not one shred of propoganda can sway me.  But I listen.  I observe.  And the more my faith is attacked, the more the noose around my faith tightens.

The anti-Christianity billboards are beautiful.  They strengthen my resolve.  They don't plant seeds of doubt in me but rather they cultivate my convictions and push me even closer to God.

This Christmas, I will celebrate reason.

My reasoning.


No comments:

Post a Comment