Saturday, October 27, 2012

Speaking Fish

Man catches fish and is pretty damn proud.

"please let me go", says the fish.

But... man doesn't speak fish.


The fish is too small.  Back into the water, he goes.

"thank you, strange creature from outer space", says the fish.

But... man doesn't speak fish.


I went fishing with a quasi-father figure when I was younger.  I was there the day a cliche was invented.

I caught a tiny fish and with pride, I held up that tiny fish.

"throw him back," said my wannabe father figure.  "there's plenty more fish in the lake".

Four hours passed and I caught nothing else.

And I wondered what that fish thought.  If he knew how close he was to death or if he even cared.

And I wondered if he was thanking some fish deity for his second chance at life or if he was returning home to tell his friends that he saw the face of God... that I was the face of God.

I was trying to understand a language that did not exist.




As this man was auditioning to be my father figure, he took me fishing once again.  And I caught a 22 inch catfish.  I was so proud.

"he's a keeper", the man said to me.

I wanted to throw him back into the water.  It just didn't seem right. 

I went from being Jesus to the devil in one weekend.  It was how I felt.

Man asks woman to marry him and he's pretty damn proud.

"do you promise to love and cherish me always?", she asked.

With a gun to her temple, the answer was obvious.

But he finally let go of her.

It was the closest I came to having a father or my mom remarrying.

It was the closest I came to speaking fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment